And the latest global craze brought to us courtesy of Tik Tok and Instagram and some say the boredom brought on by corona-distancing is… Dalgona Coffee!
Ladies, this is a must try!
Dalgona coffee originates from South Korea, with other variations found in India, Vietnam and other South East Asian countries. Named after a Korean sugar sweet, Dalgona coffee tastes like a fantastic mocha, latte, frappe/cap creation from Starbucks.
What’s the big deal?
Well first, it is a delicious, like coffee ice cream. Second, it is an attractive drink that presents well in a variety of glasses. Third, it is really easy and inexpensive to make. Just 4 simple ingredients that probably already exist in your home;
Instant coffee granules or powder ** (note you must use instant coffee, Not ground coffee beans)
Milk (your choice of whole, non-fat, coconut milk, cow’s milk, almond or soy milk)
Ice cubes (purely optional).
Here is how to make Dalgona Coffee.
- Combine equal parts of the first three ingredients into a bowl (2 tablespoons = one serving).
- Blend for approximately 2 to 3 minutes using a whisk, fork or electric mixer (blend longer for a thicker, frothier texture).
- When the mix is the texture that you like set it to the side.
- Pour the milk into a cup (the proportion of milk to coffee mix is to your taste, but 1 cup of milk per serving is the norm).
- Add ice cubes (optional).Then add the whipped coffee mix on top of the milk.
The results look beautiful.
So go ahead join the craze, take a picture and share it on your favorite social media platform. Then, enjoy your tasty creation. Oh, and it almost goes without saying, once you make your first Dalgona Coffee, feel free to experiment with different instant coffee types, thickness, flavored milk, whipped cream, chocolate shavings, crystals, crushed ice etc.